Owners: Keith, Barbara Johannes
Address: 33959 Chula Vista Avenue
Built: 1928, Woodruff
Mills Act: Yes
This two-story Spanish Colonial Revival hone was one of ten Woodruff homes financed by Lincoln Mortgage and photographed by Sidney H.Â Woodruff to advertise his “Homes in Dana Point”. Built across two lots, the home features the original complex gable roof of random set, red clay barrel tile, the over-hanging second story with wood corbels and the original front door. The front facade is still graced with original multi-paned casement windows that include a series of wrought iron grilles and stucco-hooded windows. An addition was added to the north end of the home’s front elevation in 1993. The hand painted living room beams, quarter sawn oak floors and hand-wrought iron banister are all Woodruff features of this style. A witness to history, the home’s master bedroom suite was rented with ‘kitchen privileges’ to Harold Ambuehl, his wife and infant child as part of the war effort during the housing shortage of World War II. Mr. Ambuehl became a much respected principal for whom a San Juan Capistrano elementary school is named. The Johannes home appeared on the 2001 Home Tour featuring Historic Woodruff homes and received the Lantern Village Association’s Historical Heritage Award in 2005.